Shrewsbury, Missouri was officially platted in 1889. General John Murdoch, Civil War General, purchased the parcel of 278 acres of farm land and called it Shrewsbury Park, after a village in England. Shrewsbury, as a community, was later incorporated in 1913.
Following the original 1912 City Hall, a new City Hall was built in October 1938. Shrewsbury’s new fire engine house and state-of-the-art equipment were then dedicated in 1947. It was during this period that the Shrewsbury Garden Club was formed to maintain the beautiful trees and flowers throughout the city. The early 50’s were marked by the expansion of the public bus routes to connect Shrewsbury to St. Louis. The 60’s and 70’s were times of great community growth, noted by the construction of city parks, a municipal pool, and Interstate 44. The 80’s and 90’s saw increased development of new homes, condominiums, apartments, shopping areas, and a new and improved City Center, which opened May 8, 1993 to coincide with Shrewsbury’s 80th year of incorporation. City Hall is now located at the City Center and the former City Hall was renovated to become the Public Safety Building, housing both the Police and Fire Departments.
Shrewsbury’s aquatic center opened in May of 2000 and the Metro-Link station opened on August 26, 2006. At the end of the first decade, the year 2010, Shrewsbury’s first female mayor, Mayor Felicity Buckley, was sworn into office. Then, in 2013 the City of Shrewsbury celebrated its centennial! In honor of 100 years of municipal history, Shrewsbury publicized along with its logo, the community sentiment,…“Shrewsbury, Missouri,…It’s Home!” This has since become the mantra of the community which also serves as home to the St. Louis Archdiocese offices and Cardinal Glennon College, the only pastoral college of its kind in the St. Louis Metropolitan area.